Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Homemade Choco Tacos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joyosity/14550722186/

I was soooooooooo excited when I saw this post pop up on Food52.  Choco Tacos are pretty much my favorite kind of ice cream novelty, but I barely see them anymore!

I ended up using the speculoos ice cream I had leftover from making the stroopwafel ice cream sandwiches, the leftover magic shell I had from making the Almond Joy bon bons, and chopped almonds, but feel free to use whatever kind of ice cream and toppings you want!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joyosity/14573010772/

Homemade Choco Tacos (from Food52)
makes 4 small tacos

1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
Pinch of kosher salt
1 tablespoon butter, plus more for greasing
2 tablespoons milk
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg white
Ice cream of your choice
Homemade magic shell
Your choice of toppings (chopped nuts, sprinkles, etc.)

Find a couple of hardback books about 1/2" thick, wipe them clean, and set them spine side up to use as your taco shell molds.

Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt.  In a separate bowl or glass measuring cup, microwave the butter and milk together just until the butter is almost all melted (start with 30 seconds and then 10 additional seconds at a time).  You want the mixture to be hot enough for the butter to stay liquid, but not too hot that you'll cook the egg whites.

Whisk the almond extract, vanilla extract, and egg white into the milk and butter mixture.  Add to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.

Grease a skillet with butter and heat on medium heat.  Add about 2 1/2 tablespoons of the batter and spread out into a thin circle.  Cook for a few minutes until golden brown on the bottom and flip.  Cook another couple of minutes until lightly brown and then remove from the skillet.  Carefully fold the shell over the spine of one of the books.  I used a folded paper towel to clamp the taco shell into shape with my hand.  Let cool on the book.

Let your ice cream soften a bit and fill the taco shells once they are cooled.  Drizzle with the homemade magic shell and top with toppings of your choice.  Enjoy!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joyosity/14572066044/

I found that I had to use a thinner book than indicated in the original recipe to achieve the shape I desired.  I was also a little disappointed that the taco shells didn't end up as crispy as the Choco Tacos I remembered.  I guess if I were to try this again, I'd lean closer to a fortune cookie batter to get that shattering crispiness.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joyosity/14570436601/

Next:  Taiwanese Grilled Corn
Previously:  Cleveland Cassata Cake (Bonus: In a Jar!)
Last Year:  Panzanella

No comments:

Post a Comment