Monday, October 1, 2012

Magical Cold Brew Coffee

P9293152 

One big change that happened this summer is that I got to start working from home full time.  When I was given the option, I hesitated at first because all I could think about was the fact that I wouldn't be able to get free coffee at work anymore.  It's not super great coffee or anything, but it's there.  And it's free.  And I need coffee in the morning.  Then I remembered cold brew coffee.

I've known about it since last summer when this article came out, but never got around to trying it out myself, mostly because I don't have any coffee filters.  Now that I had the motivation, I grabbed a box of filters from Trader Joe's and started cold brewing away.  I discovered that cold brew coffee was smoother than hot brewed coffee and super convenient to keep in the fridge for whenever I wanted some iced coffee.  Life was good.

Then I came across this recipe for Magical Coffee and my life changed.  This coffee isn't just good or better; this coffee is MAGICAL.  It's like there's a party in my cup and everyone is invited.  The flavors sing, the aromas dance.  I used to use coffee to wake me up in the morning.  Now I wake up in the morning to taste this coffee.

Magical Cold Brew Coffee
makes 2-3 servings

1/2 cup coffee beans
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch fresh ground nutmeg (optional)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 cups water

P9283130

Grind the coffee to a medium-fine texture (stop before you get to espresso fine).

P9283140

In a French press, add the ground coffee, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar.

Pour in 2 cups of cold water, stir, and wait 2 minutes for the coffee to float and "bloom".

Stir again and cover.  At this point you can put it in the fridge to steep or leave it on the counter at room temperature.  If I want to drink it in less than 8 hours, I'll leave it on the counter.  Let steep overnight or longer, up to 24 hours.

P9293147
 
Press the grinds and pour through a coffee filter.  You can store this coffee base in the refrigerator for a week.

To serve, pour over ice cubes and add cream, milk, or half & half if you like.  I prefer vanilla soymilk.

Die of happiness.

P9293151

I tweaked the proportions a bit from the original recipe because I like to add a lot of soymilk to my coffee so I wanted the coffee base to be a little stronger.  Now that it's getting colder, I may end up using the French press to brew hot coffee but I'll still probably add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar.

Check out how to make magical pumpkin spice latte here!

Update:  I just tried making this with a small handful of torn mint leaves, and it totally reminds me of Philz' Mint Mojito Iced Coffee!

6 comments:

  1. Welcome back. I just found your blog last month searching for soup dumplings for my son. I went back and read every entry.
    Please keep posting.
    I found that a French press is a magical device for rescuing coffee. Coffee that comes out of it with a "hard edge" right after hot brewing comes out with a smooth mellow taste if left to sit overnight at room temperature.
    That old age death of coffee, the dreaded "pencil grounds" taste is completely gone the next day.
    Is it too soon to ask for the duck recipe?

    Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sorry, still can't release the duck recipe. You can try asking Ilene, who married the guy who gave me the recipe. This is her blog: http://www.comeonilene.com/

      Delete
  2. I am glad you are back! I discovered your blog back in 2009, a low point in my life. Your blog inspired me to become a blogger. Please check out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! After reading your blog just now, I really, really want to go visit Hawaii again!

      Delete
    2. We'll need to get together when you visit. Reading your blog helped me get through a really bad time in my life...all the food gave me something to want to try.

      Delete
  3. Hi Joy! Love it. I bet it tastes like Christmas!

    Cheers, Danguole
    (10thkitchen.com)

    ReplyDelete