Monday, October 15, 2012

Magical Pumpkin Spice Latte

PA113109

Now that I had my morning magical coffee routine down pat, I wanted to see if I could make a pumpkin spice latte with the magical coffee.  There's quite a few recipes on-line which use pumpkin puree, sugar, and store bought pumpkin spice, but I decided to mix it up a little and use pumpkin butter (I got mine from Trader Joe's) instead of the puree and sugar and make my own pumpkin spice since I had all the ingredients already.

PA113117

For the pumpkin spice, I ground up a tablespoon of cinnamon, a half teaspoon of nutmeg, and a half teaspoon of cloves and added a teaspoon of ground ginger.

Pumpkin Spice

For an easy, iced magical pumpkin spice latte, I cold brew a half cup of coffee with a teaspoon of pumpkin spice, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, and 2 cups of water.

Pumpkin Butter

Then I spoon some of the pumpkin butter into a mug, add a dash of the magical coffee and stir so that the pumpkin butter is dissolved.  I add more coffee and vanilla soy milk, and if I'm feeling decadent, some coconut whipped cream and top it off with a little more pumpkin spice.

PA113129

When I want a hot pumpkin spice latte, I make an extra strong cold brew since I'm going to be diluting it with a lot of hot milk.  I heat up vanilla soy milk and pumpkin butter until it just starts to simmer and then whip it up so it's nice and frothy.

PA113130

Transfer the pumpkin milk to a mug and add the extra strong magical coffee, topping off with coconut whipped cream and pumpkin spice.

Pumpkin Spice Latte

Since the pumpkin butter, vanilla soy milk, and magical coffee already contain sugar, I find that I don't need to add any more, but feel free to add more sweetener to taste.  I like that this homemade pumpkin spice latte isn't super sickening sweet like the Starbucks' one and doesn't have that weird fluorescent orange color either.

Pumpkin Spice Latte

As another option, you can make a pumpkin spice frappuccino by blending ice with extra strong cold brew, pumpkin butter, and milk.  I've found that the pumpkin butter is also excellent on toasted amnesty bread.  =)

11 comments:

  1. It's very resourceful of you to use pumpkin butter! I use the same ingredients to make my version, but with puree pumpkin from a pumpkin I roasted. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, the reason I decided to buy pumpkin butter instead of pumpkin puree is because the butter came in a recloseable container already. i.e. I was too lazy to find a container to transfer canned pumpkin puree into!

      Delete
  2. woah. those are some fancy ingredients you've got there. fresh spices?? coconut whipped cream??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the coconut whipped cream from a can of coconut milk. Easier than keeping whipping cream around, since you have to worry about expiration dates and all....

      Delete
    2. Would you please post the coconut milk whipped cream recipe? Make sure to show what you use for coconut milk, there is a lot of confusion at the local groceries what it is.
      Also have you tried this with dulche-de-leche instead of pumpkin butter?

      Delete
    3. Wow, you just read my mind! I was planning on trying to make some coconut dulce de leche and seeing if that would work well with cold brew. If it works out I'll post about it, and I'll try to take some pictures for the coconut whipped cream too. =)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for posting this! I made my own quicker version, which I'd like to post on my blog if you wouldn't mind: I basically heated 6oz soy milk, 6oz of water with a packet of Starbucks via, some pumpkin butter, and a teaspoon of your spice mix (made with pre-ground spices). Probably not as delicious or magical as yours, but still a heck of a lot better than Starbucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I wouldn't mind! I keep a couple packets of Via on hand in case I ever forget to make cold brew, too!

      Delete
  4. The pumpkin butter contains a bit of lemon juice. If you are using dairy, is there danger of curdling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, but I think it's worth a try?

      Delete