Monday, August 5, 2013

Matcha Mochi Cupcakes

The dessert for Japan Night needed to be easy to make in bulk quantities, preferably okay with being made ahead of time, easy to serve, and Japanese-inspired.  Red bean or black sesame ice cream would've been great on such a hot day, but my little ice cream maker wouldn't have been able to handle the load and having to scoop out enough ice cream for almost a hundred people would've been way too time consuming.

Then I remembered Jen's matcha mochi cupcakes which fit the bill exactly!  The ingredients, except for the matcha, are basically the same as my recipe for mochi cake, but the proportions are a little different.  There's less liquid, which I think worked better for the cupcake form.  Compared to the mochi cake, the cupcakes have a lot more surface area to get all nice and crusty while still retaining a ridiculously moist and chewy interior.  I do prefer a little less sugar than called for in this recipe, but everyone at the event loved the cupcakes, so that's just a very personal preference.


Matcha Mochi Cupcakes (from Tiny Urban Kitchen)
makes about 26 cupcakes or 56 mini-cupcakes

1 lb. glutinous rice flour
2 tablespoons matcha powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cups milk
2 cups sugar
3 eggs, beaten


Combine all ingredients and mix until well combined. 


Brush the inside of each muffin "well" generously with vegetable oil. 


Fill the muffin tins almost to the top.  The cupcakes will rise in the oven but shrink a lot as they cool.


Bake at 350°F for around 30-35 minutes. Please note that ovens may vary and you should start checking before the actual listed time is up. Test by inserting a toothpick or sharp metal object (e.g., a knife) into a muffin. If it comes out cleanly, it is done. 


The muffins are easier to remove if you let them cool first. However, if you've oiled the pan well enough, they should just slide out.


Enjoy warm or at room temperature.

Next:  Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream with Matcha Mochi Bits
Previously:  S'mores Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches

6 comments:

  1. I just found your blog when I Googled mayonnaise shrimp. I am a horrible cook but I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog and recipes. I hope I can make what you posted. I'm also Taiwanese american but unfortunately, my mom is a HORRIBLE cook so I never learned how to. My husband does all the cooking but I'd like to surprise him one day. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I didn't really start cooking until the last 5 years so I think if it's something you really want to do, it's totally possible! The mayonnaise shrimp recipe and this one are pretty easy so I hope you try them and surprise your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again! I'll take a look and I enjoy reading your blog! I'm not a blog follower but I will try :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silly me decided to make them look pretty and put the batter into cupcake liners!! FAIL...they stuck and I had to throw them all away. I also think 30 minutes was a bit long for my oven since the top of the mochi looked a little more brown than green. Oh well, that's what I get for not following your instructions about greasing the muffin pans and putting the batter directly into the muffin tin!! Time to try again!! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete